[windows2000] Re: 192.168.*.* - why?

  • From: "Wayland Phillips" <wayland.phillips@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:47:24 -0500

Microsoft bought that sequence of IP addresses so they could use APIPA when
internet connection was not available.  And since admins know that no one
will be using those addresses, they know they're safe.

Wayland
MCSE, A+

"Costanzo, Ray" <rcostanzo@xxxxxxxxxxx>@freelists.org on 11/18/2002
08:59:23 AM

Please respond to windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent by:    windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To:    <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc:

Subject:    [windows2000] 192.168.*.* - why?

Hi list,

I'm just curious about something.  It seems that most networks use
192.168.*.* for their internal addresses.  Why?  It doesn't really
matter, does it?  Isn't 192.168.*.* completely arbitrary?  My theory on
how this came to be the norm is that MS used those addresses in some
samples in some books or something, and people started using that and it
just became the norm.  But then there's that whole Internet connection
sharing feature that came out in what, W98SE?  With that, the computer
that's sharing its Internet connection will be 192.168.1.1.  So, I
imagine that it's coded somewhere into other OS'es to look to see if
192.168.1.1 can be used as a gateway when the user does not specify an
IP configuration.  So what came first?  192.168.*.* or computers looking
to 192.168.1.1 as a gateway?  Or what my real question is is why
192.168.*.*?

Thanks,

Ray at work

the system manager.