[windows2000] Re: 0x51 Registry Error (again)

  • From: Chris Berry <chris_berry-list-windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 15:02:52 -0700

Are you using Sophos AV? If so, try taking it off one machine and using something else for a bit, like AVG or Norton. If the problem goes away then you know what's causing it, and you can investigate more closely. In addition, perhaps your image is corrupted, you may want to consider making a new one.

Chris Berry
chris_berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Information Advisory Manager
JM Associates

âIf you have a strong enough why you can bear almost any how.â --Nietzsche

Neil Bullock wrote:
Hi there,

You may recall several months ago I asked if anyone had any ideas regarding the 0x51 registry_error problems we were having. It happened seemingly randomly on machines, and we couldn't fix them without re-
imaging - they crashed out on every boot (boot from XP CD, it would crash with 0x51 registry_error while searching for previous versions of windows - same with repair or recovery console).

We've since got some brand new machines, and it happens on those too, in exactly the same way. The only machines it didn't happen on were formatted using FAT32, and imaged for us by our computer supplier - we imaged all the others ourselves.

We have tried several things. Someone suggested we do a chkdsk /f on all the machines we imaged ourselves, which we have done. It may have reduced the frequency of the 0x51 errors, but hasn't fixed them completely.

We've tried running memory checking programs, and replacing hard disks too.

Today, a mixed blessing presented itself: We had one of the FAT32 machines die with 0x51 registry_error, much to our disappointment. However, we were able to boot it from a Windows 98 boot disk, and run scandisk, which fixed several errors:

Unrecoverable error in folder \Documents and Settings\02adaman\Local Settings\History\History.IE5.
Convert folder to file (Y/N)? Yes
Unrecoverable error in folder \Documents and Settings\02adaman\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\OPQRSTUV.
Convert folder to file (Y/N)? Yes

When the disk check had completed, we found the computer booted fine. No repeated crashing on bootup. So, we logged on, and had a look in the event log (which the above chkdsk stuff is pasted from). Unfortunately, there's nothing much of any consequence in there. These are the main things:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000051 (0x00000003, 0x00000001, 0x00003000, 0xe178f030). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini100305-01.dmp.

And just before that, an error about Sophos Anti-Virus Service terminating with error 0 (how helpful).

The last user logon was at 10:20am. Nobody else logged on to the machine between then and when it spontaneously started 0x51ing on us.

Does *anybody* have any ideas, however ridiculous? It's getting so we're doing nothing but spending time re-imaging machines. It seems even FAT32 isn't safe - we were going to make a new image of all our machines using FAT32, but it seems even that might be pointless.

Neil.