[windows2000] 0x51 Registry Error (again)

  • From: Neil Bullock <n.bullock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 14:50:17 +0100 (BST)

Hi there,

You may recall several months ago I asked if anyone had any ideas
regarding the 0x51 registry_error problems we were having.  It happened
seemingly randomly on machines, and we couldn't fix them without re-
imaging - they crashed out on every boot (boot from XP CD, it would
crash with 0x51 registry_error while searching for previous versions of
windows - same with repair or recovery console).

We've since got some brand new machines, and it happens on those too,
in exactly the same way.  The only machines it didn't happen on were
formatted using FAT32, and imaged for us by our computer supplier - we
imaged all the others ourselves.

We have tried several things.  Someone suggested we do a chkdsk /f on
all the machines we imaged ourselves, which we have done.  It may have
reduced the frequency of the 0x51 errors, but hasn't fixed them

We've tried running memory checking programs, and replacing hard disks

Today, a mixed blessing presented itself: We had one of the FAT32
machines die with 0x51 registry_error, much to our disappointment.
However, we were able to boot it from a Windows 98 boot disk, and run
scandisk, which fixed several errors:

Unrecoverable error in folder \Documents and Settings\02adaman\Local
Convert folder to file (Y/N)? Yes
Unrecoverable error in folder \Documents and Settings\02adaman\Local
Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\OPQRSTUV.
Convert folder to file (Y/N)? Yes

When the disk check had completed, we found the computer booted fine.
No repeated crashing on bootup.  So, we logged on, and had a look in
the event log (which the above chkdsk stuff is pasted from).
Unfortunately, there's nothing much of any consequence in there.  These
are the main things:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was:
0x00000051 (0x00000003, 0x00000001, 0x00003000, 0xe178f030). A dump was
saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini100305-01.dmp.

And just before that, an error about Sophos Anti-Virus Service
terminating with error 0 (how helpful).

The last user logon was at 10:20am.  Nobody else logged on to the
machine between then and when it spontaneously started 0x51ing on us.

Does *anybody* have any ideas, however ridiculous?  It's getting so
we're doing nothing but spending time re-imaging machines.  It seems
even FAT32 isn't safe - we were going to make a new image of all our
machines using FAT32, but it seems even that might be pointless.

New Site from The Kenzig Group!
Windows Vista Links, list options
and info are available at: