Re: wireless headset plus mic

  • From: "Mich" <mich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:56:09 -0500

Looking for a (near) PERFECT wireless headset? [Review of FREETALK Wireless
Headset]

I frequently use Skype for making VoIP calls and, until a month ago, I was
using baisc corded set (two plugs: one for line-out and one for mic-in). It
worked pretty well, and, by using a cheap USB sound device, I was even able to
use it frequently without having to constantly plug the line-out connector into
my laptop's sound card or my speakers' headphone jack. But it was wired. And
annoying.

Introducing the FREETALK Stereo Wireless RF Headset (er, also sold as a
Creative headset, I think. These companies both license the RF hardware from a
company called Avnera)

INTRODUCTION The product consists of two simple components: the headset itself
and the transmitter/receiver puck, which connects to your computer via USB.

It is not bluetooth! This is better than bluetooth. This is standard radio
frequency. FREETALK claims that, because of this, the sound quality to (your
ears) and from (the microphone) is CD quality (320 Kbps). I can personally
attest that this headset does not fall short of those claims! It sounds better
than my old wired headset and just as good as my $30 wired Panasonic headphones
(maybe that doesn't sound like much, but they are actually a pretty nice pair
of headphones). I frequently call another person who also has this same headset
and the voice quality coming from his microphone also lives up to the claim of
CD quality audio.

What installation? Plug the USB connector into your computer and Windows
2000/XP/Vista (or OS/X) will just install it automatically as any old sound
card driver. You'll need to run a very simple pairing process that takes about
twenty seconds. After that, it's just a matter of customizing your applications
or your system to use the headset as its primary audio device. All of the radio
communication happens autonomously in the hardware. Very slick.

USAGE Well...like any other headset, really, but without the wires getting
tangled or keeping you from being comfortable while you use the headset. The
set looks and feel sturdy, solid and built well. The earphone size adjustments
uses a metal slider for stepless adjustment rather than plastic ridges, which
is nice.

Turning it on is just one click of the power button on the right earphone.
You'll hear an immediate 'beep' indicating that it's on, and the LED beneath
the power button will turn green. There is also a volume adjustment "rocker"
button, which actually adjusts the primary audio device set in the control
panel, which only makes it useful if it is set to your primary audio device
(which mine isn't). Swinging the microphone boom up so that it is vertical will
mute the device (it doesn't just assume it's far enough away from your mouth
that it won't hear you, there's actually a noticeable "click" when you swing it
upwards into the "mute" position).

If you use this headset with Skype, pairing button doubles as a hotkey to
answer an incoming call and also hang up a call in session. Although, the
latter usage is a bit finicky to use. Answering a call using this button only
requires a single click and is very handy, but hanging up requires you to hold
it for exactly two seconds -- too short or too long and it won't work. Not so
slick.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that you need to have the headset
switched off when you're not using it or the battery will be dead by the end of
the day. The other mildly irritating thing is that you need to hold the power
button in for a few seconds (until you hear a beep and the LED goes off) to
switch it off. But these are really nit-pickey items and, quite frankly, very
minor inconveniences to deal with when you compare them to the inconvenience of
wires.

It also lets you know when the battery needs a charge by emitting a continual
pattern of three beeps in a row. A red LED indicates when it is charging. The
total battery life (switched on) is claimed to be six hours, although I haven't
actually tested this. It takes two hours to completely charge from almost-dead.

The audio quality, as mentioned, is excellent and definitely lives up to the
claimed CD quality. Very occasionally, and only when I'm a fair distance away
from the puck, I'll get some "digital distortion" (think Neo yelling in The
Matrix when that silvery goop was going down his throat) and cutting out. I
have a wireless keyboard and mouse in very close proximity and never have any
interference (they probably run on completely different frequencies anyway).

The last claim is that it has a maximum range of fifteen metres. I found my
maximum is somewhere five-to-ten metres, but that's going through a wall and a
piano, so the claim of fifteen metres is probably assuming there are no
obstacles or interference.

The first thing that struck me was how comfortable they were to wear compared
to my old headset. However, they do feel quite heavy next to any given wired
headset or headphones. This added weight is due to the added hardware that the
headphones need for the microphone radio transmission and, mostly, the internal
battery (not user replaceable). After too long (say, half-an-hour to an hour),
I find that it creates a bit of a pain spot between my left upper ear and my
head, but that might be just me. I wear glasses, if that makes any difference.

1.0 I think my only last complaint is that, while you can use the headphones
while it's charging, the charging cable (connected to the puck) is quite short
and brings back terrible memories nightmares of my wired headset.

Ups Solid build quality No external driver needed -- just plug'n'play for
Windows NT5+ and OS-X No irritating and buggy bluetooth crap to deal with Great
stereo sound quality in a wireless headset Not a stupid inside-the-ear thing
that makes you look like a cock BMW driver Supports a couple of hotkeys for
Skype Comfortable Swinging up the mic boom mutes the micrphone Built-in volume
adjustment

Downs You have to turn it off when you're not using it or the battery will
drain (although, this may not be a very fair complaint as there's really no way
it can "know" whether or not it's being used) Charging cable is too short when
you need to charge and use the headset simultaneously Turning off the headset
requires you to hold in the power button (this shouldn't be necessary) Built-in
volume adjustment only works if the headset is your primary audio device Skype
hotkey for "hang up call" isn't very easy to use

Forget all of the complaints. They're nothing. This is a wireless headset with
perfect audio, for crying out loud! If you want a headset for gaming or VoIP
(or anything else for which you'd use a headset), I can whole-heartedly
recommend these.