Re: Recommendation for Those who Want the Library

  • From: "Allan" <allanwkf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 10:27:28 +0800

thanks Jim. from what i see, just a minor issue need to be corrected on the
library since the latest winamp looks more accessible
now.

Warmest Regards,

Allan Wong
3M Technology

** If I said something wrong, please forgive me, as English is not my native,
I'm sorry.

From: "Jim Grimsby JR." <jimgrims@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi well the problem is easily solved and if David does not beet me to it I
will do so this week end.

From: "Bruce Toews" <dogriver@xxxxxxxx>

I've done a little investigating on my own here. I truly want to help with
respect to the library. It's not an issue I personally have an interest i,
but it's important to enough people that I want to be a part of the
solution. Someone's going to have to break down and get sighted assistance
for this.

First, register for the forums. You'll need sighted help here. Then send a
private e-mail to one of the moderators of the tech support forum. Tha
person likely isn't going to be able to help you directly, but you have to
start somewhere. Very nicely, tell that person who you are and why you're
writing. Tell them that the visual verification makes the forums
inaccessible to us without sighted assistance, but that there's no other
apparent way to contact the people in charge of the program. Tell the
person, nicely, that there are still accessibility issues with the Winamp
library, explaining that these accessibility issues make the Winamp library
unusable for us. Don't just assume that your concepts are understood without
explanation. Don't be condescending either, of course. Ask ther person
nicely if it would be possible for them to arrange for you to directly
contact a developer, so you can help try to track down what the
accessibility problems are and how best to fix them. Emphasize that you want
to work with these people as part of the solution, not just complain about
the problem. Whoever does this should be a techie, someone who knows what
blind people want from the Winamp library, and someone who knows how to talk
the computer language of the sighted. This is how things get done. No we
can't directly contact a developer right now. But everyone has a chain of
communication, and if we can access a link on the chain, we can eventually
reach the end of it.

Bruce

--
Bruce Toews