[win2kforum] Re: New User Cannot Logon NT 4.0 WS But Can logo n to Win2K Pro

  • From: Mitch <wuzzle1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 14:24:44 -0700 (PDT)

Unfortuntely, Mr Kramer is only partially correct.
The PDC emulator is used both in mixed mode and native
mode to process password changes and urgent
replication changes.  It is given preferential
treatment when processing GPO changes also (in case of
conflicting changes made at the same time)  There is
an option to change that in the GPO snap in.

--- "L.W. Kramer" <lwkramer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Win2k multiple master replication does not have
> BDC's per se. If you
> DCPROMO as server, it joins the AD peer community.
> If not, it's just a
> member server.
>
> The PDC emulation role is really a feature of
> "legacy support," primarily
> for compatibility with nt4 servers that are BDC'S
> and expect to replicate
> with a PDC.
> The other FSMO roles determine which machine(s)
> is/are responsible for
> coordinating replication among machines in a site,
> and a domain may contain
> multiple sites.
>
> There is a certain sense that some peer 2kDC's are
> 'more equal' than
> others, such as the holder of a global catalog -
> these role assignments are
> mainly intended to permit control  (and enhance the
> reliability) of
> replication in highly populated and dispersed
> environs.
>
> For the most part, the dynamic establishment of a
> replication strategy by
> the "KCC" (knowledge consistency checker) will
> provide you the best results
> unless you have unusual topology, site or bandwidth
> issues.
>
> L.
>

> >Question:  When running in mixed mode and a new
> Win2K domain controller is
> >added does it automatically assume the role of a
> BDC?  I assume it does but
> >then again....
> >
> >Thank You
> >Sean Faust