[win2kforum] Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service DCOM error - Please help!!!

  • From: "George Goundras" <ggoudr@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 06:23:24 +0300

Sorry for reposting the message but you may got some nasty "=3D" and =
"=3D20" caracters as a result of my bad Encoding Format i have set-up on =
Outlook 2000. Therefore I am sending again with Plain Text US-ASCII =
format that should be OK! Sorry again for this inconvenience I may have =
caused!
-------
Hello everybody.
I immediately need some help (I search all the available resources but =
couldn't find any solution for my problem).
I am logged in as Administrator on Windows 2000 Professional and when I =
go to Administrative Tools and then select the component Disk Management =
(under Storage) it just shows me the message (in the status line) =
"Connecting to Logical Disc Manager Service...". After waiting for about =
one minute and nothing happens I get the message (in a separate window =
with title Logical Disk Manager) and an red X saying "Server execution =
failed". Furthermore on the status line of the Disk Management Snap-In =
it shows "FAILED connection to Logical Disk Manager Service."
As a good Administrator I also checked for more messages on the Event =
Viewer, where it give me the following ERROR under the System log:
-------
Date: 23/04/2001, Time: 5:46 (the date and time the error occured =
matched perfectly this info)
Source: DCOM
Category: None
Type: Error
Event ID: 10010
User: PHOENIX\Administrator (the administrator, that's me!)
Computer: PHOENIX (this is my computer's name)

The server {4FB6BB00-3347-11D0-B40A-00AA005FF586} did not register with =
DCOM within the required timeout.=20
-------

I know that this is a DCOM specific error. I have searched the registry =
and found that the CLSID
{4FB6BB00-3347-11D0-B40A-00AA005FF586} is related to dmadmin, the =
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service.
Since this is a DCOM error I also double checked about this CLSID in =
dcomcnfg in the applications listing the Logical Disk Manager =
Administrative Service which is executed using the command dmadmin.exe =
/com (the same value was found in the registry search when I searched =
for the CLSID), and this ensures that the problem occures from the =
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service.
While I have noticed the following: When I start Disk Manager, the =
LocalSystem should run the Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service, =
which does not automatically start, even if the service properties are =
the following:
Startup type: Manual (which means start service on demand)
Logon: Local System account
The other values are the default ones.

Furthermore, in the DCOM Configuration dcomcnfg the Logical Disk Manager =
Administrative Service has the following properties:
Authentication Level: Default (in the default properties the auth level =
is {None}
Location: Checked only Run application on this computer
Security:=20
- Selected Default Access Permissions (which this is only an empty list =
with Registry Value "DefaultAccessPermission" and owner the =
Administrator)
- Selected use default lauch permisions (on the default security this =
has Registry Value "DefaultLaunchPermission", owner "Unknown Account" =
and Names the following: Administrators, INTERACTIVE, SYSTEM with Allow =
Launch permissions)
- Selected use custom configuration permissions, that are the following:
  Full Control granted to: Administrators, CREATOR OWNER, SYSTEM
  Read: Everyone, Users
  Special Acces: Power Users

Identity: The launching user is selected
Endpoints: default system protocols (which btw are: Connection-oriented =
TCP/IP, SPX, NetBEUI, Netbios over IPX)

Please note that when I start the Disk Management snap-in in MMC (i.e. =
under Computer Components) and while waiting for the Logical Disk =
Manager Administrative Service to start (which does not start and the =
Disk Management fails to connect) if I start it manually, then it will =
connect normally to the Logical Disk management service.

Please help me by explaining possible suggestions to fix this problem =
(if you known of course), any kind of ideas or just your opinion why the =
service "Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service" does not start =
when it should have started, and the most important why it doesn't =
register with DCOM within the specified timeout. How can it be fixed!

Please help me, I am desperate!

George