[win2kforum] Re: Inaccessible Boot Device

  • From: "L.W. Kramer" <lwkramer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:12:16 -0700

Please check the MS Kbase, http://support.microsoft.com for the exhaustive
and authoritative list of issues with this symptom. There are a lot of
them, some serious, some off-the-wall.

http://www.systeminternals.com may also be useful, particularly for a
utility that permits a win98 system to read (or write if you want to pay)
an NTFS filesystem on a local drive. The premise here is that you MIGHT be
able, with partition magic or a similar util, to get a free C: partition,
install 9x and access your data.

You mention a compaq model number but not the model name - I suspect that
you will find that the model is NOT certified for win2k, which means a
couple of things.  Remember that manufacturers have to pay for
certification, and there are models for which this is not profitable
-however, it means that you must individiually research the compatibility
of devices, especially disk controllers, disc drives, and video interfaces
until you are satisfied that you have the right drivers (this letter is
composed on NT4 running on an uncertified laptop - in my case, I was able
to identify an Asian version of essentially the same hardware that WAS
certified by the manufacturer for NT, and that driver set for that system
was used).

L.

L.