[win2kforum] Re: I have a very serious problem with multplying files

  • From: Wade <wade@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:02:51 -0500

09232004 1002 GMT-6

Thanks for the explaination Andrew. As long and things are ok - Im ok.

Wade

drew@xxxxxxxxxxxx[1] wrote:
You sort-of have it. Windows is always performing the long-name to
short-nametranslation in the background. No matter what, if you went to a
command prompt, and navigated the directory tree that way, the short path
names would work (even if they don't appear in the directory listing - they
normally don't). No files were actually copied - the second folder was
actually just a link to the original folder... kinda. It's rather hard for
meto explain without getting too far in depth and going into linux examples.
If you can just settle for the end result: there is always a short file name
for everything if that file has a name longer than 8 characters. The short
file name and long file name are actually the exact same file; they are not
duplicates, nor links to any other file -- the file system treats them as
oneobject. While I can't explain *why* you were seeing both the long file
name and the short file name, I just venture to guess that it is because
there was some legacy piece of software using the short file path at that
time. Regardless of whether you see it or not, having duplicates of folders
(as long as their contents are the same, and one of them ends in ~X) is
normal, and is not wasting any space (ok, some people would try to prove
contrary, but the difference is negligible, and really isn't worth
measuring). Andrew Quoting Wade <wade@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>[2]: 09232004 0906 GMT-6
Andrew must know what he is talking about because this morning I returned to
my system and was going to check for more 'doubles' and the system tree was
clean. No doubles anywhere. So let me repeat this back to see if I
understand- a legacy piece of software needed to read something and it
simplycopied the Docs and Settings directory to a shorter name so it could
access this information? Is this how I am understanding this? If the above
iscorrect, then if I dont access that software (though I do notknow what it
was) again then I shouldnt see this type of thing happen. Right? Wade Mauro
Dionisi wrote: Good answer... My first idea was thinking about something
abnormal, like virus.... But... I did not know that this could happen....
Trycreating a wade user, and see if wade's profile appears on both
directories. good luck... Mauro - Mendoza - Argentina From:
drew@xxxxxxxxxxxx[1[3]] Reply-To: win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[2[4]] To:
win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[3[5]] Subject: [win2kforum] Re: I have a very
serious problem with multplying files Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:56:06 -0500
It looks to me as though something has instructed Windows to display MS-DOS
filenames (or you were using the command interpreter for parts of this). The
way that windows handles file compatibility with legacy 8.3 systems is by
truncating files to their 8.3 equivalent. It does this by taking the first
six characters that file name (in this case a folder), and then appending ~X
to it, where X is the next number in sequence, starting at 1. Thus, DOCUME~1
is the same as "Documents and Settings". ADMINI~1 is the same as
"Administrator". Those aren't actually different folders, they're the same
one. They are just two different methods of accessing the same file
structure. The reason that the files are protected (and you thus cannot
delete them) is because you are currently using them! Assuming
"Administrator" is the only account on the system (and by your directory
hierarchy that you displayed, it is), all of your profile settings are
storedas "Documents and Settings\Administrator" - or otherwise known as
DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1. They aren't taking up twice the file space, nor are they
excess files. Windows is just displaying the Long File Path as well as the
Short File Path - while not necessary, it's not a problem at all, and I
wouldn't worry about it. Andrew Quoting Wade <wade@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>[6][4]:
09222004 1256 I just discovered, quite by chance, a very serious problem
withmy file system. Let me write it out: My Computer cabs Documents and
Settings I386 j2skd1.4.1_03 Multimedia Files My Documents OEMDRVRS Program
Files Winnt DOCUME~1 Its the last file that is giving me trouble Documents
and Settings Administrator All Users Default User DOCUME~1 Administrator All
Users Default User ADMINI~1 Ok. DOCUME~1 has copied everything under
Documents and Settings and, it has added a ADMINI~1 to it. ADMINI`1 copies
everything in Administrator. Everything!!!! My hard drive now apparently has
lost almost HALF of its space do to this massive copying. I have ran my
virusprotection program. I have tried deleting files. Nothing works. I can
delete most of these files because they are PROTECTED!!! You cant even get
around using the command line. Some of these files just done show up on it
atall. My question is this: can I save what I have or do I wipe it clean and
reinstall everything? Wade ----- To unsubscribe, send a message to
of the message. To reach the administrator(s), send a message to
win2kforum-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[6[8]]. ----- To unsubscribe, send a message
subject of the message. To reach the administrator(s), send a message to
win2kforum-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[8[10]].
subject of the message. To reach the administrator(s), send a message to
win2kforum-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[11[13]]. --- Links --- 1
mailto:drew@xxxxxxxxxxxx[14] 2 mailto:win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[15] 3
mailto:win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[16] 4 mailto:wade@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[17] 5
mailto:win2kforum-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[18] 6
mailto:win2kforum-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[19] 7
mailto:win2kforum-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[20] 8
mailto:win2kforum-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[21] 9 http://messenger.latam.msn.com/[22
10 mailto:win2kforum-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[23] 11
subject of the message. To reach the administrator(s), send a message to
win2kforum-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[26]. ----- To unsubscribe, send a message to
the message. To reach the administrator(s), send a message to
win2kforum-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[28].

--- Links ---
   1 mailto:drew@xxxxxxxxxxxx
   2 mailto:wade@xxxxxxxxxxxxx