[win2kforum] FW: PDC Demotion in Mixed Mode

  • From: Randy Martin - TBay <MartinR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:36:26 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Martin - TBay
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2001 1:15 PM
To: 'win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: [win2kforum] PDC Demotion in Mixed Mode

there is no server manager....the only way to demote a Win2k server is by
running the DCPROMO again and removing active directory...BUT this returns
the server to a member server....
With Win2k, there is no longer any concept of PDC, BDC...if you upgrade
another server to a DC, it will be a "peer" DC meaning they are both on the
same level.  you can have any number of DC's in a domain...all of the
account info, etc that is stored in the active directory is replicated to
ALL the DC's.   This overcomes the NT4 limitation of making changes on the
PDC and those changes replicated to the BDC - In Win2k...you make a change
on ANY DC and it will be replicated to all other DC's