[win2kforum] AD Problem

  • From: "Christoph Puetz" <cpuetz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 08:17:48 -0600

Hello all,

I am having problems upgrading my NT 4 PDC to Win2K and Active Directory.
The upgrade process of the OS works just fine - no problems. When the AD
installer runs I am in trouble. Here's what's happening:

I have my existing NT domain "domain.com" and that is the one I need to
upgrade to AD. The AD Installer gives me the option to a) Create a new
domain tree or b) Create a new child domain in an existing domain tree. So,
I follow the steps to create a new domain tree but when it comes to the
point to type in the Full DNS name for the new domain it does not accept the
name - our existing domain name. It tells me the name is already in use on
the network and I have to use a name that is not in use. Hey, this is my
PDC - of course the domain name is in use - shouldn't AD accept it?

In my test network I never had this problem.

Can I unplug the network cable just for that step and plug it back in once
it verified it is a valid name I can use?

What do you guys think?

Let me know!

Thanks!

Christoph