[win2kforum] Re: 2 small networks and netmeeting

  • From: Jim Betz <jimbetz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 09:34:58 -0700

Oded,

  If you call WinRoute they feel confident that you can solve your
problem.  They think it is probably a "port mapping" problem if
you want to try to fix it yourself.  I'm assuming you are using
a valid WinRoute license and that it is a different license on
each network.
  What you are trying to do is "pretty standard" - small network
sharing a single DSL connection - and there are many people doing
the same thing.  The voice session is also fairly common - however -
as soon as you start doing stuff like this (ie. initiating a session
via a "call" from another PC) you are INSTANTLY into the type of
thing that a firewall is specifically designed to protect against.
You see, initiating a call is very, very similar to what a hacker
would do to break into your network ... sending a packet that isn't
"requested" (by you using your browser or other method).  I can't
tell you all the details - but it is very similar.  I am not 100%
certain of this but I will tell you that when you use a program
like AIM where YOU start the session (perhaps automatically on
STARTUP but you see the point) and where the session "opens" a
port to the internet - well that is considerably different than
the PC-2-PC kind of thing ... because the AIM style things go
thru an internet based server of some kind to establish the
connection (I think this is why the buddy list stuff works).
  Again - you can do this and it is probably something in the
configuration of WinRoute.