[win2kforum] Re: 2 small networks and netmeeting

  • From: Jim Betz <jimbetz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 01:08:59 -0700

Oded,

  WinRoute is a NAT router.  As such it is essentially a "firewall".
You may find that one method (ie. netmeeting) will not work but
another (such as ICQ) will work.  It depends a lot on the techniques
used by the packages.  You can get help from WinRoute on how to
'unprotect' its routing - something that puts your network at risk.
  The problem you are trying to solve is "how do I get a computer
that is behind a firewall to accept a connection?" ... that is
essentially the same question as "how do I get the firewall to pass
along stuff I consider "friendly" and block stuff I don't want?"
Initiation of a direct pc-2-pc chat/voice session is one of the
things you most likely want to know that the other person is
"friendly" before you even have a chance to use the particular
software to start the conversation.  This is a little like asking
someone into your house and leaving them alone in the living room
with your TV and Stereo before you know who they are or why they
want to talk to you - so controlling it is something you really
want to do.
  I live in the same city (San Jose) where WinRoute is supported
and I need to talk to them about something else ... I will try to
remember to ask about this problem as well and if I do I will put
the answer up here.