Re: syntax highlighting (was utf8, macos x, and fmt)

  • From: ozan s yigit <oz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wilyfans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 11:43:49 -0400

John C. Lamoreaux:
>               ... As I've followed the list, I've gathered that
> wily is by and large intended to be a feature-by-feature clone of acme,
> to the extent that this is possible on Unix.  I'm still not sure,
> however, whether this effectively means that unless Rob and company
> decide to add some new functionality (e.g., syntax highlighting) to
> acme there is reticence to add such to wily.

hi john:

yes wily is a close clone of acme, though there are some divergences
[some more annoying to acme users than others] in any case, we have a
good idea what rob & co is likely to do. i have frequently chatted with
rob about acme; for example he would have liked (in the past anyway) to
have oberon -like graphic panels in acme as well, but perhaps this is no
longer important as graphic images can be plumbed to the right tool for
the job. something like syntax highlighting would be fine if it can be
implemented externally (i know rob would never code anything of the
sort directly into acme), but to be honest, i never even thought about
it. one could argue acme and wily don't come with good handles to do
some of these things cleanly and that may be something rob & co or
we can fix in the future. my current priority is to finish off the
"edit" (ie. sam in acme) extension...