Re: [off topic] 9term and Solaris 9...

  • From: "James A. Robinson" <jim.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wilyfans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:33:34 -0800

> Make sure your shell does not have any fancy command-line
> history/completion mechanisms. It will only work
> right if the shell reads input line by line, so gnu-readline
> etc will mess it up.

This is so odd... I don't have readline compiled into rc, but reading your
message made me examine the interaction between 9term and the shells. If
I use sh or rc (w/o readline), I get the odd echoing of my command after
I hit return. If I run zsh (a shell with the kitchen sink compiled in),
I don't see the echoed command.

When I compiled rc with readline enabled, the problem goes away. Would
this indicate  something curses related going on under hood with
9term? Where it's expecting an escape sequence at command input time?

I don't see any echo problems with an xterm or Mac OS X Terminal under any
of the shells, which makes me think it really is something odd about 9term
on Solaris 2.9 (I don't have the problem with 9term under Solaris 2.6).

Anyway, thanks for any input folks might have. Worse comes to worse I'll
try and make do with a readline-bloated shell (once I figure out how to
get ^U working properly). :-)

Jim