Re: getting things moving (was Re: Proportional fonts)

  • From: MJ Ray <markj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wilyfans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 10:25:34 -0000

Bill Meahan <wmeahan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...] The more different tools free-software developers choose to use,
> the more I, an end-user, have to install and keep up to date. Either
> that, or I have to hope somebody else will do it so there is a binary
> package available for my platform(s).

Are you on a seriously bizarre platform with no packagers?  End users
shouldn't need to directly install the tools if they don't want to.
For source compiles, compilers etc may be needed, but not the version
control stuff.  Releases should be early and often.

I suspect arch may even help this, as you could just grab the latest
cached revision tarball if you want something since the last release,
as it should contain a snapshot of all files (AIUI).