getting things moving (was Re: Proportional fonts)

  • From: "Mark H. Wilkinson" <mhw+wily@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MJ Ray <markj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 31 Jul 2003 17:56:45 +0100

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 15:41, ozan s yigit wrote:
> future is certainly 9libs (as separate) but i intend to keep 13.42 and
> .43 in dual form for people who prefer to get a all-contained version of
> wily [the only problem with this is that 9libs libXg does things somewhat
> differently already than the .41 version, eg. configuration for wily
> cursor control etc, but that is a documentation issue]

I'm a bit concerned that the CVS repository that the 9libs release was
made from is sitting on my hard disk where no-one else can get at it,
and I don't seem able to find time to do work on the code base to move
it forward.

A while ago we discussed the possibility of putting the code into one of
the public project-hosting sites. The options seem to be:
      * sourceforge
      * savannah

I seem to remember that there are license and ownership issues with
sourceforge, plus from what I here performance of their CVS repository
can be poor. savannah is basically the same kind of thing run by FSF,
but it seems they want projects that have licenses that are compatible
with the GPL. The debian one is a new one on me - I don't know if they
are intending it to be used for generic project hosting or whether it's
for things with a debian affiliation.

I don't *think* there should be a problem with the licenses that 9libs,
sam and wily are under - they're pretty much identical to the MIT
license. Then again, I'm not a lawyer so what do I know? :-)

So, is it worth going through the process of getting the source code
into one of these public repositories?

And, if we do, are there people out there who are interested in doing
little bits of work on the code? :-)