Re: configure script in wilytools.tgz

  • From: MJ Ray <markj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wilyfans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 17:15:05 GMT

Axel Belinfante <Axel.Belinfante@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> W.r.t. recursive make: as soon as you have multiple directories,
> you end up with recursive make in one way or another, I think.
> Especially if you want to be able to make in each of the directories
> individually, but also want to be able to make the whole package
> with a single `make' invocation in the top-level directory.

Why should that make be much harder?  All it takes is a little bit of sanity
in your Makefile design to be able to do partial makes, just as you can do
partial makes from the top-level.  Of course, partial makes may not always
make sense, but I can see that wily and wilytools probably are different
units?

> In my wily source directory (version 0.13.41) I see recursive make.

This is not to say that it is a good way to be.  The paper "Recursive Make
Considered Harmful" by Peter Miller and downloadable from
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~millerp/README.html is a good explanation of
why using recursive make is a bad habit.

MJR