acme now available for unix

  • From: steve-wily@xxxxxxxxx (Steve Kotsopoulos)
  • To: wilyfans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:45:30 -0500

In case you haven't seen the announcement on 9fans I'll attach it here.
I prefer wily over acme, but the new plumber might change my mind.

        Steve

Subject: [9fans] acme, rio workalike available in plan 9 ports
To: 9fans@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: Russ Cox <rsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 23:51:47 -0500

The Plan 9 ports tree is now at http://swtch.com/plan9port,
though the CVS repository remains at MIT.

Acme is now included in the ports tree, and has been
for a few weeks.  Rob tracked down a bad stack overflow
in libregexp, and since then it's been quite stable.

I changed some constants in 9term to make it look more
like a normal rio window and less like an acme window.
There is a new command "rio" which is David Hogan's 9wm
cleaned up to give most of the modern rio interface rather
than 8.5.  See src/cmd/rio/README for more.  It's missing
a few minor details (e.g., I would like to be able to drag window
borders to resize and move windows), but for the most part
it's quite convincing.  Rio and 9term are not well tested and
are only known to work on Linux, so they're not built by
default.  If you want them, cd into their directories and mk install.

Bug reports appreciated.  As usual see the notes linked
from the main web page for more.

Russ