Re: Xft

  • From: ozan s yigit <oz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tor Andersson <tor.andersson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 13:53:05 -0400

> I am considering rewriting the graphics so that it draws
> subpixel positioned, unhinted, anti-aliased text, with kerning.
> Oh, and add support for colors and get rid of the flickering
> when scrolling while I'm at it.

sounds like wordprocessor-grade text handling. hmm.

> However, that would change the graphics API to be incompatible with
> the corresponding plan9 libraries. I would also need to substantially
> rewrite the X11 bits.

*gurgle*

i'm not sure what kind of graphics API changes you have in mind, but
my sincere wish would be to make them more compatible (including careful
supersetting) with plan9, not less (see the current plan9 4e), so that
wily is more like acme in its graphics (with color), and the libraries are
still usable by sam, 9term and any other program that presently use 9libs
[there could be some we don't know about - 9libs has been around for a long
time and is included in some bsd ports collections) or we wish to bring
over from plan9. you should also get in touch with Mark Wilkinson
<mhw+wily@xxxxxxxxxxx> who had been keeping an eye on 9libs for
enhancements...

oz
---
www.cs.yorku.ca/~oz | york u. computer science
take the long short cut. -- animation rule of thumb (richard williams)