Re: Xft

  • From: Tor Andersson <tor.andersson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wilyfans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:29:18 +0200

ozan s yigit <oz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >             ... Anyway, I hacked together a quick-fix
> > to draw anti-aliased fonts using Xft. It seems to work, but it is not fast.
>
> someone with better a understanding of X/xft should look at this work
> and make suggestions for the mainline. i'm very conservative about admitting
> quick fixes unless there is a strong demand for it...

Fair enough. I never intended for it to be included in the mainline.
After all, it's just a quickfix.

I am considering rewriting the graphics so that it draws
subpixel positioned, unhinted, anti-aliased text, with kerning.
Oh, and add support for colors and get rid of the flickering
when scrolling while I'm at it.

However, that would change the graphics API to be incompatible with
the corresponding plan9 libraries. I would also need to substantially
rewrite the X11 bits.

How does that sound for a plan?

/tor