Re: Wily display

  • From: "Mark H. Wilkinson" <mhw+wily@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 10 May 2002 17:04:02 +0100

On Fri, 2002-05-10 at 16:43, spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > freebsd but i don't recall the version of xfree86. i have not seen the
> > > problem on most platforms i use wily on (many of them sparcs with
> > > solaris, netbsd etc) and the latest freebsd/xfree86 seems ok too. have
> > > not checked linux.
> I have just noticed a further redrawing problem with wily and
> this setup (xfree4 and linux): , if a pane within wily is partly obscured
> and you scroll UP by a few lines, then the text that was obscured
> and is now visible is not drawn.

I've noticed that if I drag windows over the top of a wily window that
it appears to refresh the whole of the bitmap, not just the obscured
part of the window, if you see what I mean. That results in a certain
amount of flashing. I don't know enough about the redraw strategy that
libXg uses to work out why that might happen though. I have a suspicion
that it might simply create a window with backing store and let the X
server deal with preserving the content, but I don't know.