Re: Python wily module

  • From: Sam Holden <sholden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wilyfans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:47:58 +1000

ozan s yigit writes:

>> Finally, my dislike of C python modules (and the fact that I had
>> something important to do from which I needed to procrastinate) drove me
>> to implement a pure python interface to wily. Ie. all the joyous socket
>> handling and message parsing/flattening is done in python, with no need
>> for a C compiler [...]
>
>please send me a copy, and i'll add it to the web site.

You can download a tarball from http://sam.holden.id.au/software/pywily

(as can any other wanna-be-alpha-testers)

The two main problems are I used the module name 'wily' which clashes with
the wilymodule.c implementation that comes with wily - then again I've
removed that module completely so I'll have to fix any bugs I come
across as I won't have another option...

I don't care if you take a copy of the tarball or just link mine.

One issue, is that I haven't attached any license information yet,
I'll do that soon enough, when I decide which. You may want to wait
until then I guess (I'll do that after I've actually done some testing)

>> Of course now that I've done that, after all these years, someone is
>> going to change the message format :)
>
>not likely, unless someone has designed a better protocol and can
>show hundreds of users would just be breaking the doors to use it... :) :)
>(xml? :-P)

I'll send a patch to change wily to use SOAP when I get it done :)

As an aside, if there a reason that I can't see (not that I've put
much though into it) why to connect to wily you create a unix socket
and then write the location of said socket to WILYFIFO, then wily
connects to you? As opposed to say wily listening on a unix socket
which you connect to?

I know very little about the working of unix sockets and I'm
probably missing some obvious reason (or completely misinterpreting
the python code I just wrote...)

--
Sam