Re: How to develope wily?

  • From: Tommy Pettersson <ptp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wilyfans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 01:38:36 +0200

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 12:46:30PM -0400, ozan s yigit wrote:
> > About tab stops: At present tab stops are closely tied to
[...]
> have you looked at how this is handled in acme?

Yes.  Tabs are handled the same way in both acme and wily.
I see it as a deficiency in both of them.  I don't know if
my idea is better, but I will try it to find out.  If it
is obviously better, than it can propose it to the acme
developers too.

> > Selection of B2:  B2 behave like double-clicking B1, except
[...]
> you know we have given some thought to adding a more comprehensive
> extension languge to wily to take care of some of these; i had a
> version with tcl (long time ago when tcl was actually tiny)
> working... i am not sure what the right answer is. i am not
> interested in ad-hoc solutions, and am not interested in sticking
> a monstrous language interpreter into wily... but if you have a
> well-thought-out scheme, my mind is open.

Ok, this makes the problem a bit more general.  Thanks for
bringing this idea to my mind!  (For acme it seems so easy;
just grab the whole line and threw it to the plumber.)

> > Edit: Yeah, that would be nice.  I have tried ssam, but it
[...]
> i do not think sam code will graft easily, plus i do not like
> that code, no matter who the author is (rob :). i started writing
> the edit function from scratch, but could not work on it for over
> a year.

It would be fun to do it from scratch, but life requires so
much more than having fun...  :-(

--
Tommy Pettersson <ptp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>