[WMS] Re: hat

  • From: Michiel Sikma <michiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 21:29:56 +0100

On 1 March 2010 18:17, Chuck Smith <chuckssmith@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Michiel Sikma <michiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Hello Tyler,
> > It seems this mailing list was created to discuss the creation of a
> > standardized Wiki markup language. You're right, I too have never
> received
> > any e-mails from here. Or maybe I have in the past, but it's been so long
> > ago that I don't remember.
> > I'm still interested in discussing something like this because I once
> worked
> > on my own version of a simple markup language based on GNU Texinfo. The
> > problem with wiki languages today is there's too little semantic value in
> > them.
> > But considering this list was started so long ago and apparently never
> > garnered enough interest, maybe it's best if we all unsubscribe and start
> > anew.
> > Michiel
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> If I'm not mistaken, the result that came from this project is
> WikiCreole 1.0 and can now be found at http://www.wikicreole.org/
>
> Best wishes,
> Chuck

Hello,
Thanks for the link! Apparently I hadn't really been paying attention back
when this list was active. The result is pretty nice. It's too bad that
large projects like Wikipedia have so much text that it's impractical to
switch to a newer version of the language.
Personally I would prefer it if wikis used a language with greater support
for semantic value, like LaTeX or GNU Texinfo, optionally with the most
common features simplified, for example the well known **bold** and
//italic// tags. Guess that means I have to go write a wiki engine.

Regards,
Michiel