[WMS] Re: Pre-cursor to wiki markup standard

  • From: "Andrew Premdas" <Andrew.Premdas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 10:34:07 +0100

Florian,

Thanks for the point about overlapping terms. I still think they overlap,
because they provide the same functionality, although perhaps they came from
a different historical background. Whilst claiming no expertise in the
history of all this, italic, bold and underline have been used as emphasis
in printed text systems for ages and I suspect em was introduced later to
make things less media specific. Really page authors should be just thinking
I want this bit of content to be emphasized. Whilst readers should determine
how this is emphasis is output. Whilst levels of emphasis might be useful,
duplicated terms are less so. However history may dictate that we have to
put up with these things.

Personally I think there should be no wiki markup for colors as this is
breaking the divide between presentation and content. Certainly authors
should not be thinking I want this bit of text to be 'red' so I'll use 'em'

All best

Andrew

Andrew Premdas
Student Systems Developer