[WMS] Re: Pre-cursor to wiki markup standard

  • From: Jim Cheetham <jim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 08:11:41 +1300

Andrew Premdas wrote:
> Thanks for this, but I think I've been misunderstood. My thought was not
> about listing or defining syntax but defining functionality e.g.
>
> Make bold: displays text with a heavier font.
> Make italic: displays text with a sloping font.
> Display heading: displays text as a heading. A heading has a level and would
> be included in a table of contents.

But surely here you're limited to the possible output types?
i.e. currently wikis output to HTML, and therefore your functionality is
limited to things that can be expressed in HTML (or XHTML+CSS)

It might be nice to consider different output methods, like PDF and so
on, but we're getting away from wiki and getting into content management
... where XML and XSLT have been playing successfully ...

Now, it might be nice to come up with an "internal" XML DTD for wikis,
who can implement their own front-end language, store in WikiXML, and
render in HTML ... because then I'd be able to migrate data from one
wiki framework to another more easily ...

-jim