[WMS] Re: Pre-cursor to wiki markup standard

  • From: "Andrew Premdas" <Andrew.Premdas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 14:46:06 +0100

Sunir

Thanks for this, but I think I've been misunderstood. My thought was not
about listing or defining syntax but defining functionality e.g.

Make bold: displays text with a heavier font.
Make italic: displays text with a sloping font.
Display heading: displays text as a heading. A heading has a level and would
be included in a table of contents.

 Etc, etc.

By creating a functionality standard first you would have a good place for
starting discussions about syntax and markup. This would also provide an
opportunity to clean up ambiguous and overlapping terms e.g. emphasis,
strong emphasis, bold, italic. Also to determine whether functionality
should be included in the core (perhaps large and small text shouldn't be in
because they are a type of emphasis).

The first link you gave has some of this, but doesn't really define or
limit, rather it is focused on gathering syntax examples.

In many ways this is perhaps so simple a task that initially it would seem
not worth doing, or discussing. But I think that actually there is quite a
lot to it, especially if you aim to produce something that is small and
simple and also sufficient.

All best

Andrew

Andrew Premdas