[wgp] Re: Wireless Gaming article

  • From: charles mcknight <chuckmcknight@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wgp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:41:50 -0800 (PST)

Hi Tony,
Sort of hard to say really. I know that Doom has been "ported" and will run
using a Citrix client as well on the 9290 Communicator, but that device tops
out at 9600 bps. Also, this article was written from the perspective of Europe
which in many ways is more advanced in wireless networks in terms of saturation
and quality of service than the US is (of course, Europe lags behind Japan).
I view GamePort as the foyer of a game club where one can pick and choose which
game(s) to play in. The immersive portion is more of a client experience that's
run by the server. In terms of selling the infrastructure, that is certainly an
option. My rationale for the mall approach is that it spreads out risk over
several stores instead of just one. But perhaps I'm oversimplifying?

 "Essman, Tony L" <tony.l.essman@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Chuck,

Wow, it looks like success may well hinge upon some kind of immersive
environment, like Sim's, Everquest, StarCraft, etc., were the server is
running the game continuously and people drop in and out. Otherwise,
GamePortal will be just another door in a shopping mall that has thousands
of door, and beaucoup advertising dollars:(

Of course, if the idea is to build an infrastructure and then sell the
infrastructure, that's altogether different.

Just my $0.02.