[wgdrmusic] Fwd: Future of Music Newsletter #78 | July 23, 2009

  • From: Jennifer Isaacs <jennifer.isaacs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: music list <wgdrmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 19:23:59 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <bounce-live-964879360-52965168@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 7:09 PM
Subject: Future of Music Newsletter #78 | July 23, 2009
To: Jennifer.Isaacs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jennifer Isaacs <
Jennifer.Isaacs@xxxxxxxxxxx>

  *Future of Music Newsletter #78 | July 23, 2009*

To view past issues of this newsletter, please visit the newsletter
archives<http://futureofmusic.org/news/newsletter/archive>.

Follow us on Twitter <http://twitter.com/future_of_music> | Friend us on
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Future-of-Music-Coalition/17142454820?ref=ts>

Very exciting times here at FMC — we've got a brand-new website with all the
bells and whistles (or most of 'em, anyway), and we've opened up
registration for Policy Summit 2009, which takes place October 4-6 at
Georgetown University in DC. There's some other stuff, too, but we won't
spoil it for you... read on for the details!

Registration opens for Policy Summit 2009!
FMC launches new website
“July Giving Campaign" a huge success, thanks to you!
New York State edition of "Same Old Song" radio report
Kristin Thomson on Mediageek Radioshow
More movement on LPFM
Best of FutureBlog round-up
HealthCare Remix panel at SEIU
How are we doing?

*1. Registration opens for FMC Policy Summit 2009!*

In the last newsletter, we gave you some early info about FMC’s Policy
Summit 2009<http://futureofmusic.org/events/future-music-policy-summit-2009>,
which takes place at Georgetown University in DC on October 4-6. Well, we’re
thrilled to announce that registration has officially opened, with
early-bird discounts!
Registration page<http://futureofmusic.org/civicrm/event/register?id=5&reset=1>

As always, a limited number of scholarships are available to working
musicians so they can participate in these important conversations.
Musician
Scholarships<http://futureofmusic.org/eventrelated/scholarships-working-musicians>

At Policy Summit 2009, music, technology, policy and law are going "back to
the future." It's been nearly a decade since Napster changed the game for
virtually everyone in the music ecosystem, so it's a good time to look back
on lessons learned — from public policy's impact on media and technology to
as-yet-unresolved licensing and copyright concerns. And we'll also be
looking forward: this year's event will feature unique presentations from a
range of visionaries about where we go from here. Attendees can expect
practical, musician-focused workshops, keynotes from leading artists,
managers and policymakers and inspired panel discussions with the sharpest
minds in the music/technology space. All this plus cocktail parties, movie
screenings and a rock show!

Head to the official Policy Summit 2009
page<http://futureofmusic.org/events/future-music-policy-summit-2009>to
reserve your spot at what will surely be the most significant music
conference of the year.

*2. FMC launches new website *

We're also excited to announce the launch of FMC's new website. This isn't
just a fresh coat of digital paint, either — it's a top-to-bottom overhaul.
We've always prided ourselves on the content on our website. But after a
decade of education, research and advocacy, things had gotten a little,
well, *cluttered*. Now, the site has been redesigned so you can quickly
locate a specific issue. Or, you can simply pick a thread (or "tag") and
explore. And don't worry about updating your bookmarks, because we've kept
the same address: www.futureofmusic.org <http://futureofmusic.org/>.

You'll immediately notice that current issues and events are right up front,
so you can learn more about FMC's latest activities with one click. We've
also incorporated FutureBlog <http://futureofmusic.org/news/all> into our
new site's main page — no more going to a separate URL for breaking news.
Multimedia content like our podcast series and YouTube videos also get
prominent position. And best of all, each item is cross-tagged, so you're
never far from more info on any relevant issue, project or campaign.

It's also much easier to follow FMC through our various social networks:
we've got a Twitter feed on the left hand side of the main page, and on the
right navigation bar, you'll see a handful of icons that will help you
"friend" us on sites like Twitter <http://twitter.com/future_of_music>,
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Future-of-Music-Coalition/17142454820?ref=ts>,
YouTube <http://www.youtube.com/futuremusiccoalition> and
MySpace<http://www.myspace.com/futureofmusiccoalition>.
Check out the "About" tab on the header pull-down menu for a quick overview
of our mission and history as well as other ways to get involved. (We
especially encourage you to sign up to be part of our "Virtual Street Team"
in the Volunteer <http://futureofmusic.org/volunteer> section.)

FMC staff would like to thank the staff at Canary Promotion +
Design<http://www.canarypromo.com/>and our tireless Education Director
Kristin Thomson (seriously, when does
she sleep?) for the incredible amount of work they put in to making this
re-launch possible.

We welcome your feedback on the new site; e-mail nicole@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
casey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to let us know what you think.

www.futureofmusic.org <http://futureofmusic.org/>

*3. “July Giving Campaign” a huge success, thanks to you!*

Newsletter subscribers have already received a personal e-mail from FMC
Communications Director Casey Rae-Hunter about our “July Giving Campaign,”
so we won’t bug you. . . other than to say thanks for the tremendous
response! We know that times our tight for almost everyone, and we’re bowled
over by your generosity. It’s truly moving to see so many of you contribute
whatever you can to our fight to ensure a bright future for musicians and
fans. We take your support seriously, and promise to keep working as hard as
we can on behalf of artists everywhere.

If you missed the original call to contribute, you can still make your
tax-deductible secure donation here <http://futureofmusic.org/donate>.

And thanks again from all of us at FMC!

*4. New York State edition of "Same Old Song" report*

Back in May, we told you about "Same Old Song: An Analysis of Radio
Playlists in a Post FCC-Consent Decree
World<http://futureofmusic.org/blog/2009/04/29/fmc-releases-same-old-song-playlist-analysis-report>"
— a data-driven study that analyzes radio playlists from 2005-2008 to
determine whether the policy interventions resulting from the recent payola
investigations have had any effect on the amount of independent music played
on terrestrial radio.

On July 1, we released a New York State-centric version of "Same Old
Song,"<http://futureofmusic.org/article/research/same-old-song-new-york-state-edition>which
comes to a nearly identical set of conclusions as the original
report <http://futureofmusic.org/article/research/same-old-song>. Why did we
crunch the data for NYS stations? Because that's where the payola
investigations started.

In July 2005, then-New York State Attorney General Eliot Spitzer announced
the results of the Office's examination of the relationship between major
labels and commercial broadcasters. By investigation's close, the four major
record labels and two radio station groups paid fines totaling more than $35
million.

The Attorney General's office then sent its evidence to the Federal
Communications Commission. Two years later, in April 2007, the FCC issued
consent decrees against the nation's four largest radio station group owners
— Clear Channel, CBS Radio, Citadel and Entercom. In addition to paying
fines totaling $12.5 million, the station group owners also worked with the
American Association of Independent Music (A2IM) to draft eight "Rules of
Engagement" and an "indie set-aside" in which these four group owners
voluntarily agreed to collectively air 4,200 hours of local, regional and
unsigned artists, and artists affiliated with independent labels.

The New York State edition of "Same Old Song" focuses on playlist data from
52 music stations licensed in New York State, broadcasting in a variety of
formats, from 2005-2008. Like the earlier, national study, the new report
shows that playlist composition has remained remarkably consistent over the
past four years, with almost no perceptible change in the amount of
non-major label songs being played on the NYS stations owned by Clear
Channel, CBS, Citadel and Entercom. These results underscore what FMC
discovered in our first report, as well as the results of a fall 2008 member
survey done by A2IM: indie label access to airplay remains difficult,
despite policy interventions in 2007 designed to open up the airwaves for
more diverse content.

You can check out "Same Old Song: NYS Edition"
here<http://futureofmusic.org/article/research/same-old-song-new-york-state-edition>,
in both full report and Executive Summary form.

And the original "Same Old Song" report can be viewed
here<http://www.futureofmusic.org/article/research/same-old-song>
.

*5. Kristin Thomson on Mediageek Radioshow*

Speaking of "Same Old Song," the report's author, FMC Education Director
FMC's Kristin Thomson, gave an interview on the Mediageek Radioshow on July
9.

Mediageek is a weekly half-hour syndicated public affairs radio program
covering grassroots and independent media, hosted and produced by Paul
Riismandel at WNUR 89.3 FM on the campus of Northwestern University in
Evanston, IL. Mediageek can be heard throughout Chicago and the northern
suburbs, and also on the web <http://radio.mediageek.net/>.

Listen to the Mediageek interview with Kristin
here<http://radio.mediageek.net/?p=458>
.

*6. More movement on LPFM*

Low Power FM stations are micro-broadcasters that operate at about 100 watts
and cover a 3-7 mile range. So why are they so significant? For one, a lot
of American towns and cities lack a truly community-based alternative to the
homogenized programming common to commercial radio. More LPFM stations would
mean more opportunity for local and indie artists who have little chance of
cracking commercial station playlists. LPFM also provides an important forum
for civic debate, cultural communication and public safety information. To
learn more, check out our LPFM fact
sheet<http://futureofmusic.org/article/fact-sheet/low-power-fm>,
or all our LPFM
tagged<http://futureofmusic.org/issues/radio/low-power-fm-lpfm>items.

FMC supports lifting unnecessary restrictions on LPFM stations in more towns
and cities across the country. We've brought artists like Nicole Atkins to
Capitol Hill to talk about the importance of quality local broadcasting, and
recently launched our "I Support Community
Radio<http://futureofmusic.org/issues/campaigns/i-support-community-radio>"
campaign, which features video testimonials from a range of artists
including Saul Williams, the Indigo Girls and Kronos Quartet.

On Monday, July 20, our friends at Prometheus Radio Project took action to
raise awareness about LPFM among policymakers. Click
here<http://prometheusradio.org/take_action/>to learn more about their
efforts.

*7. "Best of FutureBlog" round-up*

Regular readers of FMC's FutureBlog know it's a great way to stay on top of
the issues at the intersection of music, technology, policy and law. The
last couple of weeks have been particularly eventful — here's some recent
highlights:

Agreement Reached on Webcasting Royalty
Rates<http://futureofmusic.org/blog/2009/07/07/agreement-reached-webcasting-royalty-rates>
On July 7, news broke that "pure play" webcasting services (i.e., the bigger
online broadcasters who earn the bulk of their revenue through their
services) reached an agreement with SoundExchange — the nonprofit
organization that collects and distributes the digital public performance
royalty on behalf of performing artists and sound copyright owners (usually
the labels).

Julius Genachowski confirmed as FCC
Chair<http://futureofmusic.org/blog/2009/06/25/genachowski-confirmed-fcc-chair-starts-monday>
The Senate voted on Thursday, June 24 to confirm Julius Genachowski —
President Obama's nominee to lead the Federal Communications Commission.
This is widely viewed as an important development in maintaining open
internet structures and furthering the deployment of broadband.

More FCC nominees at the Senate
<http://futureofmusic.org/blog/2009/07/22/fcc-nominees-senate>
While most the country has been occupied with the Sotomayor confirmation, we
at FMC have also been keeping our eyes on another nomination process —
namely, who will fill a pair of important Federal Communications Commission
posts.

DC Independent Concert Promoter Sues Live
Nation<http://futureofmusic.org/blog/2009/06/17/local-dc-independent-promoter-sues-live-nation>
I.M.P. Inc., an independent DC/Maryland concert promotion and event
production company, recently filed an antitrust suit against Live Nation.
Owner Seth Hurwitz and Rich Heinecke, I.M.P. Inc., operates the famous 9:30
Club in Washington, DC and Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Maryland.

Just Plain Folks Announces JPF Music Awards
Nominees<http://futureofmusic.org/blog/2009/06/30/just-plain-folks-announces-jpf-music-awards-nominees>
Just Plain Folks (founded by FMC advisory board member Brian Austin Whitney)
is an online (and real-world) community comprising more than 51,500
songwriters, recording artists, publishers, record labels, producers and
other music "folks." The JPF Awards
Show<http://www.jpfolks.com/default.php?page=awards>— the largest
indie awards event on the planet — takes place on August 29 in
Nashville, Tennessee.

Wanna dig deeper? Have a look at the FutureBlog
archives<http://futureofmusic.org/news/archive>
.

*8. "HealthCare Remix" panel at SEIU*

On July 8th, (2009) FMC Communications Director Casey Rae-Hunter
participated in the "HealthCare Remix" Discussion on Reform at the Service
Employees International <http://www.seiu.org/splash/> Union in Washington,
DC. Casey talked about the issue of health insurance and musicians —
specifically, our Health Insurance Navigation
Tool<http://futureofmusic.org/issues/campaigns/get-hint>(HINT), a free
service that provides musicians with one-on-one info about
their health insurance options. After scheduling an appointment via the HINT
site, musicians will receive a call from one of our health insurance
experts, who happen to be musicians themselves.

Also on the SEIU panel: Malik "Phife Dawg" Taylor, member of A Tribe Called
Quest and diabetes patient; Ms. Maureen "Ma Dukes" Yancey, J Dilla's mother;
Dr. L Toni Lewis, President of Committee of Interns & Residents/SEIU;
Reverend Lennox Yearwood, Hip Hop Caucus.

Expectedly, much of the conversation was on the heartbreaking side —
particularly when Ma Dukes spoke about her son, producer/artist J. Dilla,
who died in 2005 from complications stemming from Lupus. While health
insurance reform is definitely something that should be on the table,
understanding your current coverage options is key to making informed
decisions.

To learn more about musicians and health insurance, and to schedule a FREE
one-on-one consultation, check out Get the
HINT<http://futureofmusic.org/issues/campaigns>
.

*9. How Are We Doing?*

You can always contact us at suggestions@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx if you have any
questions.

Thanks,

Jean Cook
Michael Bracy
Walter McDonough
Brian Zisk
Kristin Thomson
Casey Rae-Hunter
Chhaya Kapadia
Nicole Duffey
Alex Maiolo

Donate to the Future of Music Coalition!
Secure online donations are accepted at any level at
http://futureofmusic.org/donate

  [Cancel
Subscription<http://sub.ezinedirector.net/?fa=r&id=52965168&c=964879360>
]
pixel <http://srv.ezinedirector.net/?n=3058807&s=52965168>

--
WGDR - Plainfield, VT
91.1fm  &  wgdr.org

Free-Form Independent Community Radio broadcasting from Goddard College

po box 336
plainfield vt, 05667

jennifer.isaacs@xxxxxxxxxxx