[website-critique] Image is everything

  • From: "Peter" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "takeatip-leaveatip" <takeatip-leaveatip@xxxxxxxxxxx>,"Website-Critique" <websitecritique@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 18:13:46 -0500

Image is everything

By Mark Gibbs

If there's one thing that is irritating, it is trying to create
client-side image maps for Web pages. Most of the tools are OK,
but few really make the process easy.

A new one that I really like is CuteMAP
(http://www.globalscape.com/products/cutemap/ ) from GlobalSCAPE
(http://www.globalscape.com ).

CuteMap offers a pleasant and usable interface
(http://www.globalscape.com/images/mapscreen.gif ) with which to
build client-side image maps using an unlimited number of map
elements. Hot-spot regions can be rectangular, circular, and
polygonal region types. The resultant HTML code is displayed in
a window as you define regions.

CuteMap supports GIF, JPEG and portable network graphic (PNG)
image formats, as well as mouseover and ALT text, OnMouseOver
and OnMouseOut text, browser testing, zoom in and out of the
image, multidocument tabbed interface, floating tool bars and
customizable font settings.

I have two complaints, though: The first is that while you can
move the vertices of a polygonal shape around with wild
abandon, there's no facility to delete a vertex.

The second issue is a "gotcha" - if you create a region
inside an existing region, CuteMAP doesn't place the embedded
region before the region it is embedded in - this means that
the embedded region will not work. However, you can easily
reorder the region definitions in the source code window.

If you create image maps more than once a year, this utility
belongs in your toolbox. Globalscape offers a 30-day trial
version and registration is $19.95.

Please Forward This Email to a Friend