[webproducers] Re: salaries question

  • From: Eric Swenson <swenson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 17:10:56 -0500

Karen:

FYI, as a consultant who often ghost hires/fires for my clients and
accesses a lot of competitive and comparative HR data, I can tell you
that the salary.com baselines are fairly accurate, but with a series of
caveats. One of the biggest disclaimers you have to be aware of is that
the definitions for internet/new media jobs are still very, very liquid
-- even within the realm of seasoned professionals. A true "SENIOR
producer" in a respectable (multi)media firm that is producing active
commercial product can often justify his/her salary, even if/when it's
above the six figure mark. An under-used or poorly used Producer (note
the capital P) is most likely a financial and intellecual drain. Hence
the need for finely tuned HR crews who know how and where to place
optimum talent.

Re: Salary.com job description data -- it's obviously LCD (lowest common
denominator) data. I would hold my employees to a much higher standard
than what they describe, typically.

Alternative data can be found at http://www.avvideo.com , the home of AV
Video Multimedia Producer magazine. Industry Standard (RIP) produced an
annual salary survey. Also, most of the major job boards now publish
data vis a vis their salary calculators. The best baseline that I use,
however, is to simply contact senior HR reps at the firms I end up using
in any comparative model I'm building. Other resources are available
but, uh, I get paid to broker those.... : )

[I'll save my rant (for now) re: the liquidity of the title "producer"
vs. project manager vs. AP, etc. but most people on this list who know
me understand why I hold the title in such high esteem and get pissy
over the dilution of it in dot-bomb multimedia circles.... Another day,
perhaps...]

The current climate is having a much greater effect on the AMOUNT of
jobs available vs. the salaries for said jobs. Of course, some firms
have been forced to cut back on salary baselines (uniformly) but others
that are either improperly run or that employ (sic) unscrupulous
practices have used "the downturn" as an excuse to undercut potential
NEW employees in negotiations. I refer to this practice as being
unscrupulous especially in cases where persons who are VASTLY more
qualified than a current legacy employee base who are in desperate need
of work come in and accept baselines that are far below market value and
below that of the firm's legacy employee base (who are in no danger of
being expelled).

Good luck with your research.

-- Eric

Eric Swenson + Principal + Swensonia! Consulting
swenson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx + www.swensonia.com
P: 631 368 3917 + F: 631 980 4285 + C: 917 885 2945
AIM = swensonia + YIM = swensonia + ICQ = 498568990