[wdmaudiodev] Re: Wave-sink for Kernel-mode Software Synthesizer fails to function in Vista.

  • From: "Hakon Strande" <hakons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 09:41:22 -0800

Dear Ellwe,

The audio subsystem in Vista is completely re-designed - the biggest
change in the audio pipeline since Windows 3.1 in my opinion. Some
things are gone, like all the audio kernel mode components. Kernel-mode
software synthesizers are no longer supported on Vista because they
relied on Kmixer.sys which is no longer part of Windows in Vista and
beyond.  Kernel-mode hardware synthesizers are still supported.

The move to user mode and removal of all the kernel mode components is
part of an effort to build a more transparent, low latency, stable and
secure streaming audio system.

Sincerely,

Hakon Strande
PM Integrated, Internal, External, and Wireless Audio Devices
MediaTech/DMD/Windows Client/Microsoft