[wdmaudiodev] Re: WDK 8 APO and MSVCRT

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 11:56:33 -0700

M'hand Boughias wrote:

> As you know, the WDK 8 use VS2012 to build the driver. In order to
> build an APO we need to dynamically link to the CRT because of the lib
> "AudioBaseProcessingObject.lib". In the previous WDK it used to
> generate an APO.DLL which dynamicaly link to the MSVCRT.DLL (the one
> from the OS). Now with the WDK 8, the generated APO needs the
> MSVCRT100.DLL (from VisualStudio). Is there a way to avoid that? How
> can I force the link to the static CRT or the dynamic OS-CRT?

VS2012 will no longer create code that works with MSVCRT.DLL.

> Is it acceptable to deliver the VS-CRT inside the driver package?

Yes.  Previous versions of VS required "side-by-side" setup for the
runtime libraries, which meant you were practically required to invoke
the Microsoft installer.  That's been dropped in VS2012, so you can
simply copy the files into place, as long as you do the correct version
management.  You still might want to invoke the Microsoft installer in
your installer, but there are now alternatives.