[wdmaudiodev] Re: Overriding IRP_MJ_DEVICE_CONTROL handling is possible?

  • From: "Don Bell" <0dbell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 08:56:03 -0500

On 4/10/07, Don Bell <0dbell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In a "low level" WDM driver, I would of course use
IoRegisterDeviceInterface() to register the device interface. Thanks
to the book that I have, I also know that it should be done *after
creating* the device, but *before attaching* it to the device stack.

No wonder I am so confused... The book indeed instructs for calling
IoRegisterDeviceInterface() *before attaching* the device object to
the device stack.

However, the WDK documentation says:

"After creating the device object **and attaching it** to the device
stack, one driver calls IoRegisterDeviceInterface..."

Well, now at least I know that I can afford calling
IoRegisterDeviceInterface() after calling PcAddAdapterDevice().

However, I am still confused about the role of
IoRegisterDeviceInterface() in the world of PortCls. I tried to
document my qualms in microsoft.public.development.device.drivers:
http://tinyurl.com/yqeway

Many thanks,
Don