[wdmaudiodev] Re: Naming audio devices dynamically in Vista

  • From: Frank Yerrace <Frank.Yerrace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 14:58:36 -0700

>if two devices are connected, they both will receive exactly the same name

Not quite true. If two same-named audio controllers are in the same system, the
names of the controllers (as seen in the Sound control panel) are modified to
differentiate them. This also affects the friendly name that is retrieved via
the PKEY_Device_FriendlyName property of the endpoint property store.

Frank Yerrace
Microsoft Corporation