[wdmaudiodev] Re: Changing default endpoint and speaker configuration on Vista

The problem with that model is that in the applications I'm working with we have unsophisticated users that may not even know they need to adjust something, nor what panel to open. We'd like to help them out by directing them to the correct place from within our application.

Frank Yerrace wrote, On 10/18/2006 2:01 PM:

Clarifying some of the intent of the design around the Vista audio control
panel...

Jim Barber said, "...are you saying that MS wants to avoid IHV control panels/GUI's
changing those parameters? ...That would result in the bulk of the audio settings being
done in the IHV app and then the user being required to go to the MS property pages only
to change the default endpoint and/or the output mode."

And SP said, "What is the best method to launch the Vista UI to allow the user to
change it?"

The idea is that the IHV implement extensions to the Vista audio control panel
rather than a separate application. Then there is no need for the user to use
the Vista audio control panel for some settings and a separate IHV application
for other settings. Instead, the user launches the Vista audio control panel,
uses the standard tabs in that control panel, and also can visit additional
IHV-supplied tabs that show the IHV's custom settings.

Frank Yerrace
Microsoft Corporation

From:  Larry Osterman <Larry.Osterman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subj:  [wdmaudiodev] Re: Changing default endpoint and speaker
configuration on Vista
Date:  Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:37 pm
Size:  5K
To:  "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Btw, this isn't change for Vista - applications weren't allowed to change
the defaults in XP either.

-----Original Message----- From: wdmaudiodev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdmaudiodev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of SP Sent: Monday, October 16, 2006 7:23 PM To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [wdmaudiodev] Re: Changing default endpoint and speaker configuration on Vista

I have a somewhat related question.

Since we are no longer able to automatically change the default audio
devices in Vista. What is the best method to launch the Vista UI to
allow the user to change it?

Jim Barber wrote, On 10/16/2006 9:04 PM:

Hi Hakon,

Just to be clear, are you saying that MS wants to avoid IHV
control panels/GUI's changing those parameters? Mike wasn't referring
to 3rd-party recording applications. That would result in the bulk of the
audio settings being done in the IHV app and then the user being required

go to the MS property pages only to change the default endpoint and/or
the output mode. Is this the intent?

Thanks,
--jim

At 06:17 PM 10/16/2006, Hakon Strande wrote:

These are user settings only in Vista. We want to avoid applications
fighting over what device is the default and what speaker config it
thinks the user likes.

The device driver exposes the multi-channel formats the hardware
supports and the OS speaker config exposes these to the user selecting
the configuration with the highest number of channels as the default.

The audio endpoints get set to default based on a prioritized list
starting with Speakers at the top on the render side:

1. Speaker
2. Headphone
3. S/PDIF

As an audio device driver you expose the logical devices supported by
your audio device and the user controls what device is actually used.

Hakon Strande
PM Integrated, Internal, External, and Wireless Audio Devices
MediaTech/DMD/Windows Client/Microsoft