[wdmaudiodev] Re: Capturing audio output

The audio driver does not (or at least is not supposed to) touch audio bits
anymore in at least one major driver model (WaveRT) on Windows so in those
cases filter drivers won't get to the audio data either.

Also, if the content that is playing is protected only signed and certified
components can be part of the streaming pipeline so if your scenario requires
real-time stream recording the content owner decides if your unsigned filter
driver will be able to get insert itself in the pipeline.

So right there are two reasons a filter driver is not a one-size-fits-all
solution or even a once-in-a-while solution.

What is the scenario your are trying to support?

There may be another way to get a mix of the audio leaving the Windows audio
system depending on what you are trying to do. If you are creating an AEC DMO
for instance there is a format restricted loop back from the audio engine you
can use.

Sincerely,

Hakon Strande
Program Manager - Windows Sound Team