[waug] Re: SouthWest show and website

  • From: incerti auctoris <incertia@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <waug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 19:07:58 +0000

SETTING UP

I've booked my room, and I spoke to Paul M again.

I told him about the 404; he said it was working last evening; I didn't

recheck this morning. -Just checked: working!:

http://www.riscos.com/roadshows/SWShow2008/StandLayout.png

Most of the exhibitors will also be playing safe and staying overnight,

apart from CJE and Fortran Friends.

ROL and most of the exhibitors will begin setting up (with which Paul

has taken up my offer to be an extra pair of hands), at 1900, traffic

conditions allowing. CJE & FF plan to arrive 0700-0800 on Saturday.

I plan to arrive 1700-1800, because I have to walk from the nearest bus

stop along country lanes I am unfamiliar with, and it starts getting

dark around then.

I need to learn about exhibitions, what they are, and what organising

really involves, partly because it's an area next-to but currently

outside my knowledge, partly because I hope codename spotlight will

exhibit at some in the future, partly because my Landlord run's some

and helping him make's the rent go down.

VENUE INFO

Reviews of the hotel part of the venue say the bar prices are

comparable to Pubs in the local area, so my priorities are skewed again

towards my friends' opinion that all my excursions are Pub crawls in

disguise. (I used to live in a Pub, and I often feel guilty about not

visiting them as often as I used to. I'll stop there.)

Other reviews say the venue has recently been refitting following

complaints about mould and accommodation not coming up to modern

standards (whatever that means). The other reviews say more about the

reviewers than the hotel. (Optimistic people say good things, people

expecting to be waited-upon grumble.)

BUSES

I've found that (good news) there are local buses are go between Weston

and the venue, but (bad news) they stop 2 miles away. This is better

than 8 miles from the town, though: The thought of an 8 mile walk is a

worrying one, whereas two miles is down to the shops and back.

121 (WSM to Bristol) stop's at Winscombe, and

126 (WSM to Wells) stop's there and at Cross.

DROBE

I called Chris Williams to get the subdomain for codename spotlight.

The website is online, I don't have far to go with the database

(project tracker), and some of the actual projects are better advanced.

For speed, because I don't have instant access to email; partly because

I think connecting a PC to the internet is too reckless, I found out

his work phone number (01227 473104, ask for main reception, then ask

for him, clarifying his sub-editing role for them). This surprised him;

he says the only people that phone him are those threatening to sue

him.

He says he won't be attending the Show as it's too far for him to come.

He'll call me back out of work time, so I won't have subdomain info in

time for listserv posting.

CHARITY STAND

I hear about these all the time, but what actually is it?

It sound's like somewhere people drop off surplus kit, and it is

donated to charities, but it also implies, by virtual of it being a

stand, some category of people (aside from us of course) being eligible

to buy/collect items from it. Please correct my interpretations.

In reference to my Landlord's activities (above), [commercial] tenants

of his are encouraged to take bundles of leaflets for his big railway

modelling exhibition to nearby Shows. Does/Will Moss mind / Moss, do

you mind, if I put the stack of leaflets on the charity stand / your

stand?

In theory he might reciprocate with allowing RISC OS advertising at his

exhibition, maybe for the next (Wakefield?) Show, maybe info about RISC

OS generally, for the unenlightened. His Show gets several thousand

visitors.

http://www.trainwest.org.uk (currently pointing to the old site)

http://freedom.is/models (my redesign, which -you've guessed it-

 make's the rent go down)

WHERE AM I?

What part of the venue are we meeting in? I remember something about

the lounge-type wide corridor next to the hall, but was that said at

January's meeting, or am I confusing that with something else?

I'm going to use my spare time at the show [showtime?], to write that

article for Qercus that I keep meaning to get finished. Working title

"State of Play".

How do I pronounce WAUG? Should it be wag, worg (as in borg), or

something else?

HOTMAIL VIRUSES

A virus *with* Hotmail? I thought Hotmail *was* a virus.

Anyway, it has another "virus" (on the server): Having managed to turn

off HTML emails (it didn't tell me it was going to do that), it now

seems to squash my messages, taking the linebreaks out. So that is why

this post is double-spaced (if it appears so when it "comes out".)

-Robin H.

Telly addicts unite!
http://www.searchgamesbox.com/tvtown.shtmlVisit the WAUG website
//www.freelists.org/webpage/waug