[visurfacereader] Re: Beta 4.1 now available

  • From: Peter Bosher <peter.bosher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <visurfacereader@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 11:27:33 +0100

Hi All,

Thanks to David for the pointer which did indeed solve the installation problem.

Some more basic questions to help get me up and running please:

1. It seems that each time you install a new beta version, you first have to remove the previous one rather than just installing over the top. Is that right?

2. I plan to use the FW1884 with Sonar. In the SR "Add surface" dialogue, the FW Control MIDI port, which is what Sonar uses, shows up. Do I still need to install virtual MIDI cables with MIDI Yoke, and how will that affect normal Sonar use if at all?

3. From what Tim said, the best way to start testing will be to switch the FW to emulate Mackie. I need to figure out how to do that, and again how that will affect the Sonar set-up. The alternative would be to start trying to get SR to learn FW native controls. Any thoughts on how to proceed very welcome.

Best,

Peter

At 13:02 21/06/2012, you wrote:
Peter,

David's already put you on the right road for the component you're missing,
but I should point out that SurfaceReader should be capable of being trained
to work with any of the modes that the FW1884 can support - it's amatter of
defining a protocol for each mode.  Having said that, we're working on a
thorough Mackie Control definition file at the moment, so it'll be the
sensible place to start.  Once we've got that happy it'd be more than
interesting to attempt definitions for the other modes, as I remember Phil
Muir telling me that the unit's Native mode offered some advantages.

Best wishes.

Tim Burgess
Raised Bar Ltd
Phone:  +44 (0)1827 719822