[visionrehabtherapist] Re: labeling CD's and DVD's

  • From: "Brink-Chaney, Marcie (DELEG)" <brink-chaneym@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cmlien@xxxxxxxx>, <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 12:23:50 -0400

Hi,
I'm not going to re-invent the wheel so I'll re-post Sue's comments on
labeling cd's and DVD's.

Marcie Brink-Chaney CVRT
Michigan Commission for the Blind
Detroit Office
E-mail: brink-chaneym@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: (313)456-1643
Fax: (313)456-1645
I had asked our tech folks about whether labels could be attached to
DVD's or CD's and the response was that it was absolutely no problem
unless the label was so thick or large (or curled up) that it interfered
with the CD (being placed on the printed (up) side of the CD (assuming
it went in horizontally) because the "reading" of the CD happens on the
nonprint side. They said it was okay even to put tons of info on a label
as long as it didn't interfere.

So, when I talk about managing CD's with folks, I recommend not only
labeling the CD itself, but its case in whatever format works (either
braille on dymotape or something like the Voila bar code reader), but
also a system for organizing groups of CD's.  At our house, we have an
apothecary drawer type CD storage unit made of oak (or maybe fake oak)
with separate drawers for such genres as smooth jazz, Christmas,
bluegrass, icky ones friends gave you that you never play, etc.  The
CD's are placed in alphabetical order front to back in each drawer, and
their braille labels are placed on the back "top" upside down so it's
easy to slide your finger down from above the drawer to read the
braille.

Further, the "rule" in the house is that when a CD is put into the
player (we have used a 5-CD unit and now one that holds many more), the
CD must be placed in alphabetical order in the tray and the case must be
left sticking up (by turning the jewel case a bit) in the drawer so it's
easy to refind where to return the CD's.  That means the jazz drawer is
left open a tad and if we've put in 5 CD's, it's easy enough for anyone
to take out the first CD, put in into the first case and sliding it back
into the drawer, and so forth.

Sue Ponchillia

Susan V. Ponchillia, Ed.D., CVRT
Professor/VRT Program Coordinator
Department of  Blindness and Low Vision Studies College of Health and
Human Services Western Michigan University Mail Stop 5218 Kalamazoo, MI
49008 269-387-3450 fax 269-387-3567

>>> Bill and Diane Gray <graysjoinery@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 03/25/09 9:20
PM >>>
Hi All,
I agreed to ask if anyone knows if a braille label using a braille
labeler (like from APH) directly on a CD or DVD will interfere with its
playing?  If it does interfere, any suggestions on how to get them back
in to the correct case?
Thanks!

Diane Gray
Vision Rehabilitation Therapist Trainee