[visionrehabtherapist] Re: Police ID Question

  • From: Maduffy@xxxxxxx
  • To: melissa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, susanmarie9@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 10:16:09 EST

I did some checking last night, after receiving these Twitter responses,
and I'm not so sure about the #112 option after checking.

112 is the European emergency number. Also (and you all know how convoluted
 web searches can become), I read some discussion threads on Snopes.com
about  this number. I'm not certain, but a while ago, there was an email
circulating  about a woman, stopped by police who weren't actually police. As
the
story goes,  she called *112 and saved herself from a criminal attack.

That story, apparently, is not true. I guess the best advice I received is
this, which is similar to Melissa's information:

"Ask for their badge number and call the station to confirm identity  and
current location of officer."

Thanks for starting this thread, by the way. It's very helpful.

Maureen A.  Duffy, CVRT
Editorial Director
AWARE (Associates for World Action in  Rehabilitation & Education)
Phone: 914-528-5120
E-mail: _maureen.duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:maureen.duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Are you aware of our web site?
_www.visionaware.org_ (http://www.visionaware.org/)
"Self-Help for Vision Loss"
_www.twitter.com/visionaware_ (http://www.twitter.com/visionaware)
_www.facebook.com/visionaware_ (http://www.facebook.com/visionaware)
_www.visionaware.blogspot.com_ (http://www.visionaware.blogspot.com/)

In a message dated 11/17/2010 10:08:16 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
melissa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

So is that just 112 or the pound sign first?
I am not so sure calling 911 for a question like that is the  way to
go..that line is truly for EMERGENCY situations. It may be more prudent  to
know
the number of your local precinct & call. I would think the  dispatcher would
know. In fact, it is a good idea to be in touch &  familiar with your local
precinct. My thoughts, Melissa