[visionrehabtherapist] Re: I salute You VRTs!

  • From: "Elida Gares" <elidag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lasmith@xxxxxxxxx>, <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 22:20:44 -0400

Amen!! E. Gares
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lachelle Smith" <lasmith@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2012 10:49 AM
Subject: [visionrehabtherapist] I salute You VRTs!

Greetings Everyone:

It is with much pleasure and pride that I celebrate and honor all VRTs
for the awesome work that they do!  I am extremely proud and honored to
be a CVRT!  I too stumbled into this profession at a time in my life
that I wanted and needed a change in my career path.  I knew that I
would one day want to give back to a community that I belonged to for I
am visually impaired.  Although, I never had the pleasure of working
with a CVRT, once discovered that this profession existed, I was
immediately drawn to learn more about it!  I enrolled into a Vision
Rehabilitation Therapy Masters program at The Pennsylvania College of
Optometry in 2000 where I was taught and mentored by Maureen Duffy!  She
introduced me to this awesome profession in such a profound way that I
knew this was my calling.  From that time to present, I have
continuously enjoyed working and teaching VRT principles and skills.  I
believe the best part of my role in teaching and training VRT principles
and skills is seeing those I have taught (students and/or clients) teach
others!  It is kind-of like “paying it forward”!   How blessed I am to
have found this life work.

Thank you to all of you who labor with me in this vain to make a
positive difference in the lives of blind and visually impaired
individuals.  I applaud you!

Warmest regards,
Lachelle Smith, CVRT

Lachelle E. Smith, M.S., CVRT
Coordinator of the Vision Rehabilitation Therapist Program
Salus University
College of Education and Rehabilitation
8360 Old York Road
Elkins Park, PA 19027-1598