  From: Renee Fortin
  To: rikilynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ; visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2011 4:13 PM
  Subject: [visionrehabtherapist] Re: Food Expiration Dates

  I had a client who could see colors and she actually came up with her own
system.  She used those colored circle stickers (red, blue, green, yellow) that
you can get in the office supply stores. On the day she bought groceries, she
marked everything perishable (milk, yogurt, eggs, etc) with the same colored
dot. Then she put a dot of the same color on that day on the calendar. That
gave her a pretty good idea of how long she had had something in the fridge and
when to get rid of it.

  Renee Man
  CVRT/COMS
  Carroll Center for the Blind
  Newton, MA

  Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 09:20:16 -0700
  From: rikilynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: [visionrehabtherapist] Food Expiration Dates
  To: visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

        I am currently finishing up a kitchen curriculum with a high school
student. We have just covered basic rules for storing and labeling foods and
what the shelf life is for a variety of foods. Here's my question: How are
people labeling the 'use by' or 'sell by' dates on fresh foods stored in the
refrigerator? I know about the pen friend, and we've made braille labels, but,
in real life, are folks going through the trouble for dated goods? Or just
trying to remember when they bought the food and generally how long it keeps?
Or just using the food until other clues (smell, texture, etc) let you know
it's gone bad?

        Rikilynn