[visionrehabtherapist] Food Expiration Dates

  • From: Rikilynn Layher <rikilynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 09:20:16 -0700 (PDT)

I am currently finishing up a kitchen curriculum with a high school student. We
have just covered basic rules for storing and labeling foods and what the shelf
life is for a variety of foods. Here's my question: How are people labeling the
'use by' or 'sell by' dates on fresh foods stored in the refrigerator? I know
about the pen friend, and we've made braille labels, but, in real life, are
folks going through the trouble for dated goods? Or just trying to remember
when they bought the food and generally how long it keeps? Or just using the
food until other clues (smell, texture, etc) let you know it's gone bad?