[visionrehabtherapist] Re: Autism and blindness

  • From: "Christie Peel" <peels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>, <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 08:52:09 -0400

Shelley,

With a few children with MR and fairly good vision, I've put a night light on a
timer and set it to turn on in the morning, at the time the child was allowed
to get up and out of bed. This worked pretty well for these students. I even
used it with my own son with great success, when he was too small to tell time.
Night light bulbs can be bought at Wal-Mart in all kinds of colors from clear,
to white, blue and pink.

I know you said that your student only has light perception, so this trick may
not work, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Others on the list might have
suggestions as to how this technique could be adapted.

Take care,

Christie Peel, CVRT, COMS, CLVT