[visionrehabtherapist] Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and accessibility

  • From: Scott Davert <scottdavert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 09:28:38 -0400

Hi all.
As you may or may not know, Jelly Bean for Android contains a lot of
accessibility enhancements. One draw-back, for a braille user, is that
you must install an app called BrailleBack from the App market, and
that only uncontracted braille is supported. However, from the
perspective of a hearing blind person who relies on speech, this seems
much better than before, though the gestures seem rather complicated.
Also, the accessibility appears to be built in. I think I'll be
sticking with iOS for now. Anyway, here are 2 articles on the subject,
one with a basic overview, and the other with the gestures that are
available in jelly Bean. The Nexus 7 is currently the only Android
Device supporting Jelly Bean, but more are expected soon. here are the
articles.
Jelly Bean Accessibility Explained: Touch Exploration Augmented By Gestures
http://eyes-free.blogspot.com/2012/07/jelly-bean-accessibility-explainedtouch.html
Jelly Bean: Accessibility Gestures Explained
http://eyes-free.blogspot.com/2012/07/jelly-bean-accessibility-gestures.html

Scott

Administrator e-mail: dietz1112@xxxxxxxxx