[visionrehabtherapist] Re: AER natinal convention

  • From: gholm@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gholm@xxxxxxxxxx, deannaaustin2009@xxxxxxxxxxx, alee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mmoscato@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 02:52:30 +0000

Dear All,

Just to clarify, what I mean is certificate programs or certification
preparation programs at the university setting. Thanks.

Garett

From: gholm@xxxxxxxxxx
Sender: visionrehabtherapist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 02:23:39
To: <deannaaustin2009@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <alee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
<mmoscato@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [visionrehabtherapist] Re: AER natinal convention

Dear Deanna and all,

Good evening. I too have heard the same. Another possibility is certification
programs at the university setting. I have heard that there is such a program
at Salus, but have yet to confirm this. There are similar programs for O&M at a
few universities and ACVREP recognizes this through Category 2 eligibility
requirements (O&M). This is perhaps another means to increase program capacity,
as such programs are attractive to individuals considering career change.
Thanks for the discussion and please keep the comments flowing.

Respectfully,

Garett A. Holm, President
ACVREP

From: "deanna austin" <deannaaustin2009@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: visionrehabtherapist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 21:13:29
To: <gholm@xxxxxxxxxx>; <alee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <mmoscato@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
<visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Good evening all,

Thanks so much Garett for your quick response to the below messages.

As a comment, according to what I have heard, university programs are not at
capacity.

Just another reason why we need to continue to get the word out about VRT's.

Deanna Austin

Chair, VRT division

From: "Ali Lee" <alee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sender: visionrehabtherapist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 15:20:19 -0700

To: <gholm@xxxxxxxxxx>; <mmoscato@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
<deannaaustin2009@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <visionrehabtherapist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

ReplyTo: alee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Garrett & All,

Ah, yes.  If VRTs are to be eventually reimbursed for services by Medicare
and if referrals to vision rehabilitation is to be accepted practice by the
medical community, then the new ACVREP certification standards make sense.

The increase in certification standards match the ACVREP mission as listed
on the website at http://www.acvrep.org/: "Advancing professional competency
in vision rehabilitation and education to promote service quality."

We are, indeed, at a critical time when quantity of VRTS also matters so the
people who require the services will receive them.  Yet, in the long-term,
this profession needs to  continue to gain legitimacy which may, in turn,
translate into funding and increase the likelihood of universities
re-establishing VRT training programs like Florida State University, my alma
mater.

Ali

Ali Lee , CVRT
Vision Loss Services Coordinator
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired
LightHouse of the North Coast, Satellite Program
1910 California Street, Third Floor
Eureka, CA 95501
(707) 268-5646
(707) 268-5655 TTY
(707) 268-5647 FAX
alee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.lighthouse-sf.org
http://www.lighthouse-sf.org/events/2010/ehc-60th.php
Enchanted Hills Camp: 60 Summers of Community and connection

  _____