[visionegg] Re: pygame.mixer sound output :: latency and platform-specific options

  • From: Simeon Fitch <simeon.fitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: visionegg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:43:54 -0500

1. It looks like sound.play() returns immediately, so I can go ahead
> and display visual images while the sound is playing, correct?
> 2. pygame uses the SDL_mixer code, and through a cursory inspection,
> I can't tell if it then uses PortAudio or some other platform-
> specific library for audio output. Ideas?
> 3. Has anybody had experience using CoreAudio on OS X (through a
> python wrapper) to provide for low-latency audio output?

I'm also interested in answers to these questions! My current experiment
involves sensory integration, and would like the simplest approach to
synchronizing sound (both digitized and synthesized) with graphics.

Simeon

--
Simeon H.K. Fitch, Owner
Mustard Seed Software