[visionegg] pygame.mixer sound output :: latency and platform-specific options

Hi everybody,

Not vision related, and not even specifically VisionEgg related, but I thought I'd ask here first...

A while back someone posted some code for using the pygame.mixer module for sound output in a VisionEgg script. I had a few questions about playing sound:

1. It looks like sound.play() returns immediately, so I can go ahead and display visual images while the sound is playing, correct?
2. pygame uses the SDL_mixer code, and through a cursory inspection, I can't tell if it then uses PortAudio or some other platform- specific library for audio output. Ideas?
3. Has anybody had experience using CoreAudio on OS X (through a python wrapper) to provide for low-latency audio output?

Thanks,

nick